Monday 1 April 2013

Trailer application for Android updated

I've just released an updated version of the Trailer application for Android™.

The purpose of this new application is to introduce a change to a part of the Android application configuration called the 'intent filter'.  Android applications have a configuration file called 'AndroidManifest.xml' which, among other things, controls the conditions under which applications are launched when attachments they can handle are received over the web, email etc.

When working on the original application version, I had a lot of trouble setting up an intent filter which worked as I wanted, e.g. when an email contains an attachment which has a filename ending in '.tqz', the Android operating system should provide the Trailer application as one of those which are offered
to handle the file.  In the end, I found a combination which worked, but after release of v1.0 I discovered that the filter was a bit too permissive, and the Trailer application was being offered to handle a wider range of things than was intended (including all emails).

Anyway, the new release is intended to fix this, please contact me if you are having problems with it.

I suspect that the problem I was having may not just affect me, so I plan to write up a technical description of the fix I have come up with in case it is useful to other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment